Off with the old, in with the new - 2023




So here we are, the first post of the year - better late than never, but at least it’s not February yet.  I hope you all had a good and pleasant Christmas, and a riotous New Year’s Eve (mine was sober but a nice family one), and wish you every success and happiness for 2023.

As for 2022, I’m kind of glad to see the back of it.  My ambition last January was to get through the year without being hospitalised, and in that at least I succeeded, despite some sciatic problems that needed some physio in a clinic, but I don’t really class that as “hospital” - so I’m calling it a win.


Apart from that, at least on a personal level, not a lot happened.  For a number of very good reasons, it was a quiet year.  Finishing off the new place meant there was not a lot of spare cash so for the first year in my life (at least as far as I can remember) I never got to the seaside, and I’m rather surprised at how much I actually missed it.  Since childhood I’ve loved the sight and sound of waves, big and small, rolling in, and the taste of the salty air, whether the sun is hot on my back or the day cold and miserable - there is something hypnotic and fascinating to me.


I had two relatively brief trips out of town all year.  In August it was a long weekend in the Mazurian Lake District in north east Poland visiting friends, and just before Christmas I had ten days in England, visiting sisters, kids and grandkids, and enjoying the strike-bound rail network - and snow, which is unusual: I don’t think in all the years I’ve been away a trip home has coincided with a snowfall.  It

made an enjoyable trip more interesting……

----------------------------------


At a wider level, the war in Ukraine rumbles on with Putin’s rabble committing war crimes on a

daily basis (I suspect more civilians have died or been maimed from the indiscriminate bombing

and shelling of non-military targets like schools and hospitals and apartment blocks, than armed

forces).  The resolve of the Ukrainian people and President Zelensky is quite extraordinary as we

approach the first anniversary of the Russian invasion.  They are being supported by NATO, but

so far little has changed - the sanctions imposed on Putin and his allies and apologists, and

Russian business generally, have so far not worked as well as had been expected.  If anything,

the man has been able to use it as a means of uniting a doubting public to support the “special

military operation” in defence of the Motherland.  Patently untrue, but it does seem to have

mustered support.


It seems to me about time that there is an escalation of some kind.  Expelling every Russian

diplomat and the forced closure of Russian embassies from every NATO country might be a

start, accompanied by the withdrawal of diplomatic immunity, and this should be extended to

Putin and his cronies like Lavrov and Peskov and their families.  Close the borders.  Extend

the sanctions to every company, big or small, still doing any kind of business with the country. 

Let the fuckers stew in their own juices, pariahs all. Meanwhile, provide Ukraine with all the

weapons they need and ask for, to take the fight to Russia. Putin must be defeated and shown

to be defeated - nothing less than a date at the ICC in The Hague on charges of crimes against

humanity and mass murder will end this satisfactorily.


Global warming continues to bite, with extreme weather events occurring somewhere every day. 

The ski slopes in Poland and elsewhere are devoid of snow, record rainfalls are causing catastrophic flooding in California as I write, a week after record low temperatures and snowfalls paralysed the eastern and central US.  I watched the New Year’s Eve fireworks from my neighbour's balcony at midnight, wearing a t-shirt and did not feel in the least bit cold. And yet licences are being dished

out by British and German governments to open new and extend old coal mines, to compensate

for fuel shortages caused by the Ukrainian war.  The COP commitments are clearly being ignored.  The climate activists, meanwhile, continue their protests, and are rewarded by the wrong kind of action: new legislation tabled to imprison them for causing a public nuisance, and widespread

threats of violence against them by politicians, public and police.  The world has clearly gone to

hell in a handcart.


What else?  Well, Britain is gridlocked by strikes on the railways, hospitals are overstretched and

beyond crisis point as nurses, ancillary staff and junior doctors strike for better pay and conditions,

the post office workers are striking to protect jobs, and the border control people and civil service

are on strike for……well, something to do, I think, not wanting to be left out…  Brexit continues to

divide a country that is in the middle of fuel and cost-of-living crises, and an incompetent and

corrupt Tory government that went through three Prime Ministers in the space of a couple of months

last year has run out of ideas and ability just when those qualities are most needed.  A general

election is sorely needed, but there is unlikely to be one for another couple of years because the

government won’t commit electoral suicide and the opposition seem incapable of forcing the issue. 


Christ knows what will happen this year……

------------------------------------


But enough of the doom and gloom already!  It’s a New Year, and I must be positive.  What I can’tdo anything about - like the above - I will merely rage about as and when I feel like it, but

I refuse to let it dampen my spirits.  I am fit, and healthy (to the best of my knowledge) and I have

much to look forward to.  For a start I turn 70 in March, an age I somehow never thought I’d reach

(touching wood…), certainly not when I was younger.  I have no idea how I will celebrate, but doing

it somewhere on a hot and sunny beach has its attractions!


I expect that we will finally get to move sometime around mid-year after what seems like two years

of hard labour, and that will be interesting - probably my last home move.  Not being dramatic about

that, but I’ve lived in this place for close to 20 years, so if I stay in the new place for a similar time

I’ll be close to 90 and probably past caring. In any event, I’ll have a bit of personal space to work

at, on this blog and other writing projects, relax and read and listen to my choice of music rather

than someone else’s choice of tv.  And have my books in one place rather than several.  Happy days.


And I plan to travel more.  I want to do a few solo weekend (or for that matter midweek) trips to

places in Poland that I haven’t visited yet (or liked and want a return to), just wander around and

look at stuff at my own pace.  My Beloved and I want to do a couple of trips, just the two of us, to

do likewise - Switzerland is top of the list to visit family, maybe England in the autumn, and God

willing a couple of weeks in Croatia.  So we’ll probably end up doing none of those things!  But,

hey, there’s nothing wrong with making plans, right?  And whatever I do end up doing, I intend to

chronicle it here - the good bits, in any case.


 A Happy 2023 everybody!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Refugee crises are not going away......

A State of Mind......

Facing trials.